Shandong University, under the direct jurisdiction of the Chinese Ministry of Education, is a key comprehensive university founded in 1901, and has been selected as a national A-class university in the construction plan of world-class universities. Its full-time student population totals up to 70,000 (including 1,560 international degree students). It is located in Shandong Province, the cradle of Confucianism, in three different cities (Jinan, Qingdao and Weihai). It has signed cooperation agreements with more than 200 institutes in over 30 countries and regions. Shandong University has become a prestigious university with a long history, rich cultural background, strong academic strength, and great influence both at home and abroad, which draws students from everywhere to further their study.
1. Applicants must be non-Chinese citizens in good physical and mental health and possess a valid foreign passport. Applicants under the age of 18 must submit relevant supporting documents (Annex 1) at the time of application and entry.
2. For those who were originally Chinese citizens and later became foreign nationals, and those who have acquired a foreign nationality at birth, one or both of the parents are Chinese citizens and have resided in a foreign country, are subject to the regulations as stated in Document No. 12  of the P.R.C Ministry of Education and applicants must submit relevant supporting documents (Annex 2);
3. Applicants must possess a high school diploma or its equivalent.
II. Application Time
The application dates for the Chinese Government Scholarship are from December 18th, 2020 till March 31st, 2021;
The application dates for Shandong University Scholarship for International Students (hereinafter referred to as SDU Scholarship) are from December 18th, 2020 till March 31st, 2021;
The application dates for self-financed students are from December 18th, 2020 till May 31st, 2021.
Note: After the deadline expires, the system will no longer be accessible. To prevent a situation where applicants are unable to submit supplementary materials, applicants are advised to complete the application at least two weeks before the deadline.
III. Academic Programs
The Bachelor programs that Shandong University offers to international students include Chinese-taught programs and English-taught programs. Applicants can only apply for one program. After being admitted, they cannot change programs in principle. For more information on our Bachelor programs, please refer to the website: https://www.istudy.sdu.edu.cn/English/Programs/Degree_Programs/Bachelor_Programs.htm
IV. Application Procedures
Applicants must login to the SDU Online Application System for International Students (http://www.apply.sdu.edu.cn ) in order to apply. The application information should be fully filled in and required documents have to be uploaded. No paper application has to be sent through the post.
V. Application Documents
1. HSK Level 4 (210 points or above).
2. The only exception of the Chinese proficiency test requirement is for applicants who have obtained their highest degree in an institution where the primary language of instruction is Chinese. The official proof must be submitted.
1. Applicants whose nationality is the U.S.A., the U.K., Australia, New Zealand or Canada are exempt from providing English language certification.
2. Applicants whose native language is not English are required to submit the results of the IELTS (6.0 or above), TOEFL (80 points or above, Mybest Scores and Home Edition Test are accepted, SDU’s DI code: C296) or other equivalent certificates of English proficiency.
3. Applicants whose native language is not English and who have obtained their highest degree in an institution where the primary language of instruction is English, do not need to provide IELTS/TOEFL scores, but must submit proof of the language of instruction.This proof should be a letter which states that the entire program was given in English and that letter has to be stamped by the university that administered the program and signed by an employee of that university.
1. The biographic page of your passport (passport must be valid until at least October 31st, 2021).
2. The high school diploma or equivalent. If the applicant has not received the high school diploma or equivalent yet, a pre-graduation certificate should be presented to affirm the applicant will graduate soon.
3. Transcripts of all courses taken when pursuing the high school degree.
4. A letter of motivation in Chinese or English.
Note: The motivation letter should be written in accordance with the requirements of the template (please click the link to download the template: https://www.istudy.sdu.edu.cn/info/1267/3338.htm). Applicants applying for Chinese-taught programs should write in Chinese, and applicants applying for English-taught programs should write in English.
5. Language proficiency proof.
6. Foreigner Physical Examination Form.
Note: The physical examinations (please click the link to download the template: https://www.istudy.sdu.edu.cn/info/1267/3354.htm) must be fully filled in. Incomplete forms or forms without the signature of the attending physician, and the official stamp of the hospital, and a stamped photograph will not be considered. Ensure your physical examination remains valid during your application time as the result is valid for only 6 months.
7. No criminal record certificate.
8. Statement of Financial Support through a Guarantor and its supporting documents.
Note: The statement (please click the link to download the template: https://www.istudy.sdu.edu.cn/info/1267/3315.htm) should be filled in Chinese or English. The supporting documents should certify that the applicant has sufficient funds to cover his or her tuition, accommodation, living expenses and international travels during his or her study in China. Only the applicant himself/herself or his/her direct family can act as a financial guarantor. The statement should be accompanied by a copy of the passport biographic page belonging to the financial guarantor or his or her I.D. card. Applicants for Chinese Government Scholarship are exempt from this requirement.
VI. Application Instructions
1. The uploaded documents must be in Chinese or English. For documents in other languages, scans of the original documents and the notarized translations in English or Chinese must both be uploaded. Please scan the original or notarized application documents in color using a scanner. Images captured by mobile phones or cameras will not be accepted. Handwritten documents will not be accepted with the exception of the Foreigner Physical Examination Form or signatures.
2. Applications that are incomplete will not be processed. Shandong University reserves the right to require applicants to provide the original and/or paper documents for further inspection.
3. Applicants should ensure that the application information and application materials provided are authentic and correct. Once the admissions or certification department verifies that something in the application is incorrect or fraudulent the application or admission will be canceled. In the case the fraud is discovered after the student commenced his/her studies, it could lead to expulsion.
4. The electronic documents that the Shandong University and relevant departments/schools publish or send to applicants through websites or emails are deemed to have been delivered.
VII. Evaluation and Admission
Shandong University will select the best applications for admission.Video interviews can be a part of the application process for some majors. Admission results can be checked through the SDU Online Application System for International Students. The results for self-financed students will be declared before the 30th of June. Chinese Government Scholarship and SDU Scholarship applicants will be notified on the 1st of September at the latest. The admission notice and JW201/JW202 form will be sent by post by the International Admissions Office of Shandong University.
VIII. Registration Time
Admitted students are required to register at Shandong University according to the date stated in the admission letter. Upon registration, the original graduation certificate, language proficiency certificate and other required documents will be verified.
1. Application fee: 400 RMB (This should be paid after obtaining the pre-admission qualification)
2. For tuition fees, please visit: https://www.istudy.sdu.edu.cn/English/Fees1.htm
3. Medical insurance premiums:
According to the regulations of the Chinese Ministry of Education, international students coming to China must purchase medical insurance. The medical insurance fee is 800 yuan per year per person. Students who have not purchased medical insurance will not be registered (Please login to http://www.lxbx.net for insurance content and claims procedures).
Outstanding international students can apply the following scholarships:
1. For Chinese Government Scholarship, please visit:
2. For Shandong University Scholarship for International Students, please visit:
3. For other scholarships, please visit:
Shandong University provides on-campus accommodations for international students. Admitted students can log into the website (www.istudy.sdu.edu.cn ) for information on the accommodations. For any questions relating to the accommodations, please call: +86(0)531-88365855.
Admitted students must apply for a study visa at the Chinese Embassy/Consulate in their countries of residence with the Admission Notice and JW201/JW202 Form. International students who will study in China for less than 6 months should apply for the X2 Visa. Students who will study in China for more than 6 months are required to obtain the X1 visa. To stay in China legally, it is mandatory to apply for the Residence Permit within 30 days of arrival in China.
Address: Room C301, Mingde Building, Shandong University (Central Campus), No. 27 Shanda South Road, Jinan City, Shandong Province, P. R.China
Postal Code: 250100