Preparatory Program Overview
This International Student Undergraduate Preparatory Program provides six-month to one-year training for graduated high school students who are interested in embarking on a undergraduate study at SDU. This preparatory program will help students improve their Chinese language abilities as well as their knowledge in fields such as mathematics, physics and chemistry. After the preparatory program international students who have received excellent scores can obtain priority admission to an undergraduate programat SDU.
Aim of the Program
This program will increase the student’s Chinese language skills so as to ensure that participants are able to pass the language requirements needed to enroll in a Chinese-taught undergraduate program. In addition to the language training students will gain a general knowledge on a variety of basic subjects. Students who have qualified for admission in an undergraduate degree will be able to choose from any undergraduate program taught in the Chinese language as described on https://www.istudy.sdu.edu.cn/info/1291/3341.htm
The goal is to pass the HSK 3 exam (270 points) after half a year or pass the HSK level 4 exam (210 points) after one year. If students pass an HSK level 4 exam they will fulfill the language requirements for enrollment in an undergraduate degree program taught in Chinese. The other subjects will enable students to have a solid foundation when commencing their undergraduate studies. The other subjects are listed below and are all mandatory. These will be given in the second semester of the academic year.
If, after completing the preparatory courses, the student decides to discontinue his/her studies at SDU, he/she can be recommended by Shandong University to continue studying at other Chinese universities.
1. Citizens in good physical and mental health and possess a valid foreign passport. Applicants under the age of 18 must submit relevant supporting documents (Annex 1) at the time of application and entry.
2. For those who were originally Chinese citizens and later became foreign nationals, and those who have acquired a foreign nationality at birth, one or both of the parents are Chinese citizens and have resided in a foreign country, are subject to the regulations as stated in Document No. 12  of the P.R.C Ministry of Education and applicants must submit relevant supporting documents (Annex 2);
3. Applicants must possess a high school diploma or its equivalent.
4. If an applicant wants to study this program for only one semester (starting in February or March), an official HSK 3 certificate is required with a score of over 180. If an applicant wants to study this program for one academic year (starting in September) no Chinese language proficiency is required.
Study Period and Length of Studies
When studying for one semester, the start is in March and it ends in July.When studying for two semesters it starts in September and ends in July. Eligible students may join the class midstream.
Courses Setting and Prospective Bachelor Program
1.Preparatory Program offers
(1)Language Courses: Comprehensive Chinese language, Chinese Speaking, Chinese listening, Chinese reading and writing
Humanities and Social Sciences:History, Geography
ScienceandTechnology/Medicine:Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry
(3)Cultural Experience Courses：
Chinese calligraphy, Chinese paper cutting,Tea culture of China and Tai Chi
2.Prospective Bachelor Program
For our list of Chinese taught Bachelor programs, please visit:https://www.istudy.sdu.edu.cn/English/Programs/Degree_Programs/Bachelor_Programs.htm
One Semester of Study: October 15th till December30th
Two Semesters of Study：March 1st till June30th
Note: After the deadline expires, the system will no longer be accessible. To prevent a situation where applicants are unable to submit supplementary materials, applicants are advised to complete the application at least two weeks before the deadline.
Applicants must login to the SDU Online Application System for International Students (http://www.apply.sdu.edu.cn) in order to apply. The application information should be fully filled in and required documents have to be uploaded. No paper application has to be sent through the post.
The documents that should be uploaded are:
1.The biographic page of your passport (passport must be must be valid for at least six months).
2.The high school diploma or equivalent. If the applicant has not received the high school diploma or equivalent yet, a pre-graduation certificate should be presented to affirm the applicant will graduate soon.
3.Transcripts of all courses taken when pursuing the high school degree.
4.Study Plan (At a minimum it should contain a brief self-introduction, why you want to study at SDU and what your interests are in the chosen major. If you have more to add that you believe will support your application like measurable skills it is allowed to include these in your study plan.）
5.Applicants who apply for a study visa which has a duration that exceeds six months are required to submit a valid Physical Examination form.
Note: The physical examination form (please click the link to download the template: https://www.istudy.sdu.edu.cn/info/1267/3354.htm) must be fully filled in. Incomplete forms or forms without the signature of the attending physician, and the official stamp of the hospital, and a stamped photograph will not be considered. Ensure your physical examination remains valid during the application duration as the result is valid for only 6 months.
6. No criminal record certificate.
7. HSK results if applicable.
8.At least one letter of recommendation from your school or institution, in original Chinese or English, with the contact information of the recommending school.
1. The uploaded documents must be in Chinese or English. For documents in other languages, scans of the original documents and the notarized translations in English or Chinese must both be uploaded. Please scan the original or notarized application documents in color using a scanner. Images captured by mobile phones or cameras will not be accepted. Handwritten documents will not be accepted with the exception of the Foreigner Physical Examination Form or signatures.
2. Applications that are incomplete will not be processed. Shandong University reserves the right to require applicants to provide the original and/or paper documents for further inspection.
3. Applicants should ensure that the application information and application materials provided are authentic and correct. Once the admissions or certification department verifies that something in the application is incorrect or fraudulent the application or admission will be canceled. In the case the fraud is discovered after the student commenced his/her studies, it could lead to expulsion.
4. Make sure you regularly check your email and spam box in case we ask for further information / complementary documents and / or corrections. If we request information and we do not receive it, it could lead to rejection. The electronic documents that the Shandong University and relevant departments/schools publish or send to applicants through websites or emails are deemed to have been delivered.
1.Apply on the SDU website at: http://www.apply.sdu.edu.cn,and submit the required documents
2.SDU reviews the application
3.Applicant is accepted, rejected or should complement the application
4.SDU issues an admission letter and a JW202 visa application form and sends these to the address the applicant gave when applying online.
5.Applicant takes the admission letter, passport, JW202 form to the embassy, consulate or visa center and applies for a student visa.
6.After the visa is issued the applicant can book a plane ticket.
Application fee: 400 RMB
Tuition fee: 22000 RMB/year, 11000 RMB/semester
Insurance fee: 800 RMB/year, 400 RMB/semester
Accommodation fee*: 25-55 RMB/day
*May vary depending on the room type
Shandong University provides on-campus accommodations for international students. Admitted students can log into the website (www.istudy.sdu.edu.cn) for information on the accommodations. For any questions relating to the accommodations, please call: +86(0)531-88365855.
Application for Financial Support
Students in the preparatory program applying to study undergraduate majors at Shandong University will be given priority under equal conditions.They can also apply for the Shandong University Scholarship for International Students when applying to study undergraduate majors.
For further information on scholarships please visit: https://www.istudy.sdu.edu.cn/English/Scholarships/Overview_of_SDU_International_Student_scholarshi.htm
Contact information (for program-related enquiries and admissions)
Address: Office of Extension, College of International Education,
27 Shanda Nanlu, Shandong University (Central Campus), CIE Comprehensive building, Office 211,
Jinan, P.R. China
Postal code: 250100