I. Program Overview
Relying on the high-quality educational resources, this International Student Undergraduate Preparatory Program provides six-month to one-year training for graduated high school students who are interested in embarking on an undergraduate study at SDU.
II. Aim of the Program
1. In addition to the language learning, students will gain a general knowledge on the basic subjects.
2. Generally, the goal is to pass the HSK 3 exam (270 points) after half a year or pass the HSK level 4 exam (210 points) after one year.
3. The other basic subjects will enable students to have a solid foundation when commencing their undergraduate studies.
1. General Requirements
(1) Applicants must possess a high school diploma or above.
(2) Applicants must be non-Chinese citizens in good physical and mental health and possess a valid foreign passport.
(3) Applicants under the age of 18 at the time of application must submit relevant supporting documents at the time of application and entry (article 10 of Item VII for details).
2. Requirements on Nationality
It is implemented in accordance with the provisions of Notice by the Ministry of Education of Regulating Admission of International Students in China's Higher Education Institutions.
3. Language proficiency requirements
If an applicant wants to study this program for one academic year (starting in September 2022), no Chinese language proficiency is required. If an applicant wants to study this program for only one semester (starting in February 2023), an official HSK 3 certificate is required with a score of over 180.
IV. Application Time
1. One Year Study (September 2022 - July 2023): March 1, 2022 - June 30, 2022.
2. One Semester Study (February 2023 - July 2023): October 15 - December 31, 2022.
Note: The system will no longer be accessible after the deadline. To prevent a situation where applicants are unable to submit supplementary materials, applicants are advised to complete the application at least two weeks before the deadline.
V. Courses Setting and Prospective Bachelor Program
1. Preparatory Program offers
(1) Language Courses: Comprehensive Chinese language, Chinese Speaking, Chinese listening, Chinese reading and writing, etc.
Humanities and Social Sciences (excluding Economics/Management): History, Geography
Science and Technology / Medicine: Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry
(3) Cultural Experience Courses：
Chinese Art, Chinese Tea culture, Tai Chi, etc.
2. Prospective Bachelor Program
Students participating in the 2022 undergraduate preparatory program can apply for undergraduate study at Shandong University in 2023. Because the 2023 undergraduate majors for international students have not yet been released, please refer to the 2022 undergraduate majors taught in Chinese for international students (please visit: https://www.istudy.sdu.edu.cn/English/Programs/Degree_Programs/Bachelor_Programs.htm).
VI. Application Method
Applicants must login to the SDU Online Application System for International Students (http://www.apply.sdu.edu.cn) in order to apply. The application information should be fully filled in and required documents have to be uploaded. No paper application has to be sent through the post.
VII. Application Documents
1. The biographic page of the applicant’s passport (personal ordinary passport must be valid until at least October 31st, 2022).
2. The high school diploma or equivalent or pre-graduation certification.
3. Transcripts of all courses taken when pursuing the high school degree (the official seal of the school must be affixed).
4. Study plan written in Chinese or English.
It should contain a brief self-introduction, why you want to study at SDU, and your understanding of China, what your interests are in the chosen major and your study plan.
5. Proof of language proficiency.
Applicants applying for one semester (starting in February 2023), an official HSK 3 certificate is required with a score of over 180. The language certificate must be within the validity period (within two years after issue) at the time of application.
6. Foreigner Physical Examination Form.
Applicants must take physical examinations in strict accordance with the requirements of the Foreigner Physical Examination Form, which must be fully filled in (please click the link to download the template: https://www.istudy.sdu.edu.cn/info/1267/3354.htm). Incomplete forms or forms without signature of the attending physician, hospital stamp, and stamped photo will not be considered. Please ensure the physical examination remains valid during the application as the result is valid for only 6 months.
7. Certificate of No Criminal Conviction (it must be within the validity period at the time of application).
8. Scanned copies of Statement of Financial Support through a Guarantor and its supporting documents (applicants for Chinese Government Scholarship are exempt from these requirements), including:
(1) Statement of Financial Support through a Guarantor, which should be filled in Chinese or English (please click the link to download the template: https://www.istudy.sdu.edu.cn/info/1267/3315.htm);
(2) Bank Statement certifying that the applicant has sufficient funds to cover his or her tuition, accommodation, living expenses and international travels during his or her study in China;
(3) The scanned copies of the passport biographic page or I.D. card of the applicant’s financial guarantor (only the applicant himself/herself or his/her direct family can act as a financial guarantor).
9. If you are studying at another university in Mainland China, please submit a recommendation letter issued by the International Students Office or the school of your host university with their contact information.
10. Applicants under the age of 18 must submit supporting documents (Annex 1).
11. Applicants mentioned in the Notice by the Ministry of Education of Regulating Admission of International Students in China's Higher Education Institutions must submit relevant supporting documents (Annex 2).
VIII. Application Instructions
1. All the uploaded documents must be in Chinese or English. For documents in other languages, scanned copies of the original documents and the notarized translations in English or Chinese must both be uploaded. Please scan the original or notarized application documents in color using a scanner. Images captured by mobile phones or cameras will not be accepted. Handwritten documents will not be accepted with the exception of the Foreigner Physical Examination Form or signatures.
2. Incomplete applications will not be processed.
3. Shandong University reserves the right to require applicants to provide the original/notarized paper documents or the certification documents issued by the designated certification authority for further inspection.
4. Applicants should ensure that the application information and application materials provided are authentic and correct. Once the admissions or certification department verifies that something in the application is incorrect or fraudulent the application or admission will be canceled. In the case the fraud is discovered after the student commenced his/her studies, it would lead to expulsion.
IX. Evaluation and Admission
Shandong University will select the best applicants for admission. Video interviews can be a part of the application process for some cases. Admission results can be checked through the SDU Online Application System for International Students. The application results for study in fall will be declared before July 30th, 2022, and the results for study in next spring will be declared before January 30th, 2023. The admission notice and JW202 form will be sent to the admitted applicants by post by College of International Education of Shandong University.
Admitted students must apply for a study visa at the Chinese Embassy/Consulate in their countries of residence with the Admission Notice and JW201/JW202 Form. International students who will study in China for less than 6 months should apply for the X2 Visa. International students who will study in China for more than 6 months are required to obtain the X1 visa. To stay in China legally, it is mandatory to apply for the Residence Permit within 30 days of arrival in China.
Please follow the latest policies and regulations on visa application. Shandong University issues admission notice and visa application form for studying in China (JW202 Form) according to relevant regulations. If students are unable to take in-campus learning, please take on-line courses.
XI. Registration Time
Admitted students are required to register at Shandong University according to the date stated in the admission letter. Upon registration, the original graduation certificate, language proficiency certificate and other required documents will be verified.
1. Application fee: 400 RMB (This should be paid after obtaining the pre-admission qualification).
2. For tuition fees: 9000 RMB/semester, 18000RMB/year.
3. Medical insurance premiums: 400 RMB/semester, 800 RMB/year.
According to the regulations of the Chinese Ministry of Education, international students coming to China must purchase medical insurance in mainland China. The medical insurance fee is 800 RMB per year, per person. Students who have not purchased medical insurance will not be registered (please log in to http://www.lxbx.net for insurance contents and claims procedures).
4. Accommodation fee: It may vary depending on the room type, and generally 35-45 RMB/day/person.
For any questions relating to the accommodations, please call: +86(0)531-88365855.
After the preparatory program, international students who have received excellent scores can obtain priority admission to an undergraduate program at SDU. When applying for undergraduate majors, outstanding international students can apply for Chinese Government Scholarship and Shandong University Scholarship for International Students. Students who apply for the major of Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages can apply for International Chinese Language Teachers Scholarship.
1. For detailed information of Chinese Government Scholarship, please visit:
2. For detailed information of Shandong University Scholarship for International Students, please visit:
3. For detailed information of International Chinese Language Teachers Scholarship, please visit:
Address: Room 206, College of International Education, Shandong University (Central Campus), No. 27 Shanda Nanlu, Jinan, Shandong, P.R. China
Postal code: 250100